Why have you fixed only a certain portion of road?

In order to manage the huge task in front of us we have had to priorities where renewal work will occur.  This is as a result of having to acknowledge that both financial and physical resource constraints mean it will be three to five years before we are on top of all of the issues. Our priority areas must start with key bus routes that service schools and carry people and produce into towns or markets.  Commercial areas with a high amount of heavy vehicle use are next in priority, as these contribute to the general economy of Fiji.  By necessity, all other roads and streets fall into a lower priority grouping. Sometimes this means that carry out repairs to the worst section of a road only to maintain it in some sort of serviceable condition. We may be able to programme a reseal over the entire section of some of these roads later, and that will be enough to save them.  If the road is too bad then we will need to come back in a year or so to carry out a full renewal.  In the meantime we would continue to undertake essential repairs only.

What activities require a permit from FRA?

Apply in writing to get FRA permission to hold a march, hang a banner, put up a billboard, sell, or set up a taxi base on the roadside.  Allow five working days for march and banner permits. Allow 30 working days for billboard, taxi base and selling on the roadside permits

Apply in writing to FRA with the name of your organization and the date and time and route of the march. An approval will be given, depending upon what other activities are taking place. If permission is given, all details of the march must be advertised well in advance so the public is aware that the road will be closed during the march. FRA will advise you if you need to apply for City or Town Council permission for your planned activity.

How do I find out which roads and bridges to avoid when there is heavy rain?

FRA works closely with the Fiji Meteorological Office, the Commissioners’ Offices and the Ministry of Information when there is a heavy rain warning, and also with DISMAC (the Disaster Management Committee) during cyclone warnings, to keep the public informed as to which roads and bridges have been closed because of flooding.

Use common sense and local knowledge to avoid roads, bridges and crossings that are known to flood.

For advisories and updates:

  • listen to the radio.
  • read the newspapers.
  • visit the following websites: www.fijiroads.org, www.met.gov.fj or ndmo.gov.fj
  • follow FRA on Facebook or Twitter.