8 November 2017
A number of roadworks will now be put on hold during peak hours to ease traffic congestion says Fiji Roads Authority’s Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Moore.
This is following the joint press conference that was held last week Thursday with the Ministry for Education, Heritage and Arts to address the concerns raised on traffic congestion at Princes Road where we had stated that we will also be reviewing other roadworks on Kings Road.
Following the review, Mr Moore says they have extended their instructions to their contractors; China Railway First Group, China Railway Fifth Group and Fulton Hogan Hiways that all roadworks are to be put on hold during peak hours from 6am to 9.30am and from 4pm to 6pm.
The roads that has had its roadwork pattern changed effectively are Princes Road, Nabua Roundabout, Ratu Mara Road- Kinoya Lights, Nakasi to Nausori Roundabout.
Mr Moore said the FRA has changed the working patterns for at least till the 14th of November to make sure that there was no disruptions going forward, especially for the school students.
“The FRA workers are daily on-site to ensure that the sub-contractors are not working on the roads during peak traffic times.”
He said they have also instructed the contractors to pull every piece of equipment and every member of their workforce off the road during peak hours to ease traffic flow.
“We are looking at other roads on Kings Road to see if the same kind of implementation will work on them.”
Read Full Report: FRA CLARIFIES ITS POSITION ON ROAD WORKS DURING PEAK HOURS